Friday 24 August 2012

Memang Lawak La Der!


The downside of having a well-read but opinionated dad is that you grow up being critical of everything. I have to admit that I inherited my flair (well, I think I have that!) for language and teaching (albeit waning) from him. But as I grew older (yucks) I realized that being critical of everything makes life a total bore. My dad can't watch a tv show or read a newspaper article without being disgusted by something.

Dad's biggest poison arrow is reserved for one particular politician. But we won't talk about He-Who-Causes-Great-Agitation-in-Some-Circles tonight. We'll talk about his other pet hate. Malaysian comedians. ROTFL. He thinks they're all stupid. Well, as a child, so did I. Because he said so!

Then my renegade brothers came into the world. The three youngest boys have very short attention spans. And selective hearing. Somehow, they acquired the skill of listening only to things that they want to hear. They have never absorbed any of my dad's opinions, because when he was talking they were too busy wrestling each other to the ground. Ignorance is bliss! And boy did these boys have a blissful childhood.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of local comedians, it was my bros who got me started watching Super Spontan. As an adult, I have become less and less judgmental. But old mindsets die hard.

Go take a peek at Super Spontan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxYDs9RNQg

Lawak Ke Der at Istana Budaya Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296MBeGGnZk

Lawak Ke Der at Istana Budaya Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQmfPkZJZg&feature=related

After a miserable day at work, I just wanted to vegetate in front of the idiot box. When Bro#4 changed the channel to Astro Warna, I started thinking "Great, just what I need, watching another bunch of clowns". But you know what? Those Raja Lawak guys made me laugh so hard I forgot that I'd just been through one of the worst episodes of my life. I hadn't laughed that hard since...come to think of it, I don't think I'd ever laughed that hard before. So! Now I declare myself a reformed Semi-Cultural Snob. (I was never as bad as those wanks who swear they only watch  Les Miserable or other miserable hoity-toity stuff).

Today I made the mistake of watching Mega Lawak 2012 on Astro Box Office Events while eating lunch. Big, big mistake. The minute Jozan appeared, the rice came bursting out of my mouth. Those guys are just damn hilarious! I'm glad I was watching it alone coz that was not a pretty sight.

There's a lesson to be learnt here. Well, two actually. First, don't be a Cultural Snob. Coz laughter really is the best medicine, and if you're too snobby, you can't laugh. Second, never try to watch Jozan while your  mouth is full of rice. Unless you like to spurt nasi kandar all over your living room lah.

My PVR is full of Astro Warna stuff. You politicians can have debates or Pertandingan Berbalas Pantun all day for all I care. My vote is for Jozan. Hah!


2 comments: